Click Here to download the brochure on our apprenticeship program!
UA Local 773 - Apprenticeship Information
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements
Apprentice Job Description
- Must be at least 18 years of age (at time of application)
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and have your own dependable transportation
- Must possess a High School diploma or G.E.D. certificate
- Must be a United States Citizen
- Must live within the jurisdiction area covered by Plumbers & Steamfitters Local 773, which consists of Clinton, Essex, Franklin, Hamilton, Saratoga, Warren and Washington counties
- Must be of good moral character and be physically able to perform the work of the trade
- Must successfully complete a scheduled New York State Department of Labor aptitude exam
- Must appear for an interview when notified
- Must abide by all rules and regulations set by the Joint Apprenticeship Training Committee
Building Trades Apprenticeship Program Information
- Assemble, install and maintain pipes that carry water, steam, compressed air, gases and fluids which are need for manufacturing, heating and cooling
- Work is done on high and low pressure pipes, power stations, refrigeration systems and environmental controls
- Reading of blueprints to determine the layout of piping, valves, fixtures and controls
- Welding of pipes from 1” to 10” made of materials that include carbon steel, stainless steel, aluminum, brass, plastic, and other special alloys
- Tools used include reamers, drills, gas torches, welding equipment, pipe cutters, benders and threaders
- Working conditions are both inside and outside in all types of weather. Workers can be exposed to heat, cold, fumes, chemical and toxic odors. The working activities are both active and strenuous which may include much walking, prolonged standing, reaching and lifting, and having to be in cramped or otherwise uncomfortable positions.
- Follow detailed instructions of a vast range of skills and be able to solve mathematical problems accurately.
- Instruction covers the installation of commercial and industrial process piping systems. Welding certification plays a big part in the education process in this program.
- Apprenticeship is 5 years long, with the first year considered probationary
- Classes are held 3 nights a week through the school year, which runs September through May
- You will need to purchase text material for use in related training classes as required
- Work will be done under the supervision of a journeyman for your on-the-job training
- Pay is set at a percentage of the going Journeyman rate, with a 10% raise each year
- Fringe benefits are provided from the first day of work
Applications are available the second Monday of each month between the hours of 8:00am and 10:00am ONLY. The application must be completed and returned no later than 12:00pm the Friday of that week along with copies of your Driver’s License, High School Diploma or G.E.D. Certificate, and if applicable, College Transcript and Military transfer card or discharge form DD-214, and any other certifications you have. There is no application fee.
Applications may be obtained from:
Glens Falls Area
Plumbers & Pipefitters Local 773
37 Luzerne Rd.
Queensbury, NY 12804
L.H. LaPlante Co., Inc.
52 Main Mill St.
Plattsburgh, NY 12901