History of 773


UA Local 773 History

Plumbers & Steamfitters Local 773 was chartered April 29, 1919 by The United Association Vice President Charles Grace, with the very first Union Meeting taking place that evening at Fitzgerald’s Hall in Glens Falls, NY. On this date, Local 773 had 27 original Charter Members. To start the Union, $58.90 was collected. $25.36 was spent to obtain the charter, leaving a balance of $23.54 in the checking account to help begin securing work for our membership.

In June 1922, the Union meetings were moved to the Glens Falls Trades Assembly Hall and then to the Glens Falls Labor Temple beginning in September 1948. The Welfare fund was established in November 1954 and the Pension Fund was established in June 1964.

Having begun a New York State approved Apprenticeship Program in 1970, Local 773 acquired property at Bluebird Road in South Glens Falls in January 1971. In 1981, a 1,500 square foot addition to the Union Hall was built to house a new weld shop. Local 773 remained on Bluebird Road until July 2013 when we moved into our current location, a brand new, state-of-the-art training facility and office building on Luzerne Road in Queensbury, home to approximately 500 union trained Plumbers, Pipe Fitters, Steam Fitters, Refrigeration Fitters, and Service Technicians.

Plumbers & Steamfitters Local 773 has come a long way since its inception. Our membership is currently thriving, but we all know it was a tough battle to get to where we are today and shall forge on to stay ahead of our ever-changing industry!